hamptons local events, express news group

Story - News

Jun 1, 2016 12:19 PMPublication: The Southampton Press

Four Stabbing Suspects To Appear In Court In July

Jun 1, 2016 12:19 PM

The four men charged in the double stabbing outside a Hampton Bays bar last month remain behind bars this week while one of their victims—a 30-year-old Riverhead man who was stabbed multiple times during the altercation and originally listed in “grave” condition by Southampton Town Police—remains hospitalized but is continuing to recover, authorities said.

The four men charged in the attack—Carlos Gutierrez-Zacupa, 23, of Flanders, Nelvin Ramos-Andrades, 18, of Hampton Bays, Luis Linares-Chavez, 22, of Westhampton, and Marvin Siciliano-Nunez, 19, of Hampton Bays—all remain incarcerated at the Suffolk County Jail in Riverside after each failed to post $250,000 cash bail. All four men, who were arrested minutes after the attack outside of Charlie Brown’s Bar in Grill on West Montauk Highway on May 21, were charged with two counts of first-degree gang assault, a felony that is punishable by up to 25 years in prison.

The four defendants—Mr. Ramos-Andrades is a senior at Hampton Bays High School—returned to Southampton Town Justice Court last Thursday, May 26, five days after the attack, for a conference. The four men, who could still face additional charges, were ordered to come back on July 28, at 1 p.m.

“I can’t give you any information over the telephone,” said Antonio Salva of Bay Shore, the attorney representing Mr. Gutierrez-Zacupa—the only one of the four defendants who had hired an attorney as of earlier this week, according to officials in Town Justice Court.

Mr. Linares-Chavez, meanwhile, was additionally charged with driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol, a misdemeanor.

Town Police Detective Sergeant Lisa Costa explained last week that the felony “gang assault” charge stems from the fact that more than two people were involved in the assault—not because of any involvement by a street gang. Police downplayed any suggestion that the incident was gang-related, saying instead that it stemmed from a simple disagreement between two parties in the bar that led to pushing and shoving between two groups.

Shortly after the crime, Det. Sgt. Costa said the charges could have been elevated if one of the victims died.

Police said the victims—the other is a 23-year-old Riverhead man who also remains hospitalized this week—were stabbed with a large knife during an altercation that started inside bar. The stabbing itself occurred in the Aboff’s Paints parking lot, which adjoins to the western side of the bar’s parking lot.

During the defendants’ first court appearance, the day after the crime, prosecutors shared that a witness had told detectives that she saw a large group of people in the bar’s parking lot flashing what appeared to be gang signs, with the smaller group returning the signal—though the unidentified witness also said she did not know if members of either group are actually in organized gangs, noting that all appeared to be intoxicated.

The witness also described the weapon used in the attack as being more than a foot long and called it a “gut-ripper,” Mr. Clifford said. Authorities have not said if they have recovered the weapon used in the attack.

You've read 1 of 7 free articles this month.

Already a subscriber? Sign in